I've Been There

Housing stuff

If you need help sorting out problems with housing or money then this page could help you.


Centrelink has people you can talk to about housing

Centrelink Community Engagement Officers work with people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.

  • To get in touch with them call: 132 468.


Centrelink also has social workers you can talk to - they can help you work out your options and link you to agencies in the community. You can talk to social workers about: domestic and family violence, relationship breakdown, loss and grief, mental health, and addictions.

  • To ask to speak with a social worker call: 131 794 and then press option 3.


There are other types of accommodation available too:


Crisis accommodation

St Vincent de Paul offers the Young Parent Program which helps young people who are pregnant or have small children. 

Phone First Point: 1800 176 468

The Salvation Army runs refuge and accommodation services. 

Phone: 1300 36 36 22


Medium/long-term accommodation

If you’re not in crisis - but are having trouble finding a house and might eventually be at risk of homelessness, you can contact:


Young Women’s Intermediate Supported Accommodation an organisation for women, families and communities which provides safe and secure housing. and help towards independent living.

Phone: (02) 6230 5150

Mission Australia Housing - affordable housing programs for families and/or individuals on low to moderate incomes.

Phone: 1800 269 672


Find out more about dealing with the money stuff.