Building your confidenceShare
Not feeling confident?
Facts about self-esteem:
- Self-esteem is the way we see and think about ourselves. It is your opinion of yourself
- Good self-esteem = you like yourself and you believe you are as OK as everyone else. You know that there are things you can do well
- Bad self-esteem = you believe that you are not OK and you are not as good as others
- Self-esteem is learned and can be changed
Bad self-esteem/not feeling confident
Do you feel bad or unhappy about yourself? Do you use words like ‘not good enough’, ‘stupid’ or ‘bad parent’ to describe yourself?
If yes, you might have a problem with low self-esteem.
Having low self-esteem can affect many parts of your life. The good news is, self-esteem can be changed!
Here are some little things you can do each day to help your self-esteem
- Stop comparing yourself to other parents. It doesn’t help and chances are, they might be comparing themselves to you as well, thinking you’re a really good mum or dad
- Keep a list of all the good things you notice about yourself
- Take care of yourself
- If you do something good, reward yourself by doing something you enjoy like a magazine or a cupcake
- Give yourself a break and don’t be too hard on yourself! Talk to yourself just like you would talk to your best friend or another mum
- If you do something silly, try to laugh rather than get upset
Practice these activities every day. It can take practice to change the way you think and behave. But it’s worth it.